Purchasing a used shipping container means you can save cash, especially if the purpose doesn’t require one in new condition, and aesthetics aren’t an issue.
Things to Look for With Used Shipping Containers
When buying in Durham, storage containers are an asset where a company can save money by purchasing a used container. Used shipping containers in good condition are not an investment risk. One determination of whether to buy a new container or a used one is the performance needed from the container. Here are some items to consider when looking at using a shipping container as a storage container:
- Usage What do you intend to do with the shipping container? Function determines if you want a new one or a used one. If you need a storage container, check if the container is still watertight. Look for rust areas. Are there any cracks? Check the doors to see if they seal tightly. Many used containers have only been used once, while others have been in use for many years.
- Budget Sometimes you find that you need a proper storage container, but you are low on cash. If this is the case, then buying a used container is a viable option. Used shipping containers cost up to 40% less than the new containers. This savings translates to thousands of dollars on the purchase. Whether your storage needs are temporary or permanent, a shipping container is a great option.
- Modification You can modify the container to meet your specific needs by adding roll-up doors, windows, ventilation, electricity, and climate control. These requirements are vital if you plan to store furniture, chemicals, and other valuable items.
- Interior Requirements If valuable or delicate items are to be stored in the container, interior climate control is required. Local weather affects not only the exterior of the container but also the interior.
Have you ever heard of the container rain phenomenon? It’s caused by swift changes in temperature from cold to warm and vice versa inside the container. The warm and humid air in the container condenses and collects on the container’s cooler contents, walls, and inner ceiling. When this condensation occurs to a significant amount, the droplets from the ceiling fall like rain inside the container. Installing vents and fans to circulate the interior air can prevent this condition.
Used shipping containers are not a risk at all. They are useful and save you a substantial amount of money if you find one that fits your requirements. Take the time to personally inspect the container thoroughly before buying to avoid any problems later.
Advantages of Refurbishing the Used Containers
Environmentalists around the world emphasize reuse and recycle. For shipping containers, this concept of reusing fits in perfectly. Listed below are some of the advantages of refurbishing the old containers:
- Affordability: Shipping containers are expensive but reap good profits for the transport business. Reusing these containers in place of discarding them can be beneficial and more affordable.
- Environmentally friendly: Recycling and reusing old containers reduces the burden on landfills. The other option is allowing them to rust away, sitting on a property – this is undesirable environmentally and aesthetically.
- Long-lasting: Shipping containers are highly durable. Refurbishing the containers can extend the life of these containers by 5- 10 years easily.
How to Refurbish the Durham Storage Containers?
Consider refurbishing as a project and yourself as the project manager. You need to plan everything and then execute the refurbishing task with expertise.
- Decide the purpose: As mentioned previously, you can put the containers into reuse for various purposes, like building a home, workspace, or restaurant. The first step is to decide the purpose so that the appropriate customizations can be planned.
- Rustproofing: The primary reason for discarding the old container is rust. If you’re refurbishing the old container, then carefully do rust proofing on the entire container. Look for weakened areas and give them special attention.
- Plan a budget and be creative: Many people have used their containers to build restaurants, cafes, workspaces, art studios, pop-up shops, private offices, she sheds, man caves, kids’ playhouses, guest houses, fishing cabins – the sky’s the limit. So think of broader and outside-the-box ways in which you can reuse your Durham storage container. Accordingly, finalize a budget and get to work.
Shipping containers are one of the essential commodities on which the entire import/export business stands. Hence, these huge metal containers are not going to disappear anytime soon. It is wise to invest in new containers for shipping products and repurpose the old ones rather than discard them.
In case you need any more assistance on a refurbishing project, feel free to connect with our experts at Carolina Containers. Call 919-562-9187.